GUN VIOLENCE IN AMERICA: FOR WHO THE BELL TOLLS NEXT.

Just five people shy of Sandy Hook elementary school mass shooting incident that claimed 26 lives, the Uvalde Texas Robb elementary school mass shooting at 21 victims, now ranks among the highest grossing gun carnage in America. It is sad that such frequent blood spilling has tragically become part of our culture as a society. May the souls of the killed now rest.

25th AMENDMENT: ITS NOW ALL CRICKET.

Madam Speaker Nancy Pelosi once questioned former President Donald John Trump's fitness to remain in office due to what she claimed was his declining mental capacity. Does anyone know what Madam Speaker presently thinks about the incontrovertible case which America is now saddled with? Just curious!

WHO WILL REBUILD UKRAINE?

The West should convert frozen Russian assets, both state's and oligarchs' owned, into a full seizure and set them aside for the future rebuilding of Ukraine. Like the Marshal Plan, call it the Putin Plan.

A HERO IS BORN.

I am staying put. I will not run away and abandon my people. The fight is here in Ukraine. What I need are weapons and ammunitions, not a ride out of town like former Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani - President Volodymyr Zelensky.

IT IS WHAT IT IS.

"There is too much hate in America because there is too much anger in America." - Trevor Noah.

WORD!

A life without challenges is not a life lived at all. A life lived is a life that has problems, confronts problems, solves problems and then learns from problems. - Tunde Fashola.

NOW, YOU KNOW.

When fishing for love, bait with your heart and not your brain, because you cannot rationalize love. - Mark Twain.

JUST THE FACT.

In our country, you can shoot and kill a nigger, but you better not hurt a gay person’s feelings - Dave Chappelle

DO YOU?.

“What you believe in can only be defined by what you’re willing to risk for it." - Stuart Scheller.

HEDGE YOUR CRISIS.

Never get in bed with a woman whose problems are worse than yours. - Chicago PD.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

'The best way to keep peace is to be ready to destroy evil. If you Pearl Harbor me, I Nagasaki you.' - Ted Nugent.

OUR SHARED HUMANITY.

Empathy is at the heart of who we are as human beings. - Cardinal Matthew Kukah.

WORDS ON MARBLE.

"Birth is agony. Life is hard. Death is cruel." - Japanese pithy.

REPENT OR PERISH - POPE.

Homosexuality is a sin. It is not ordained by God, therefore same sex marriage cannot be blessed by the church - Pope Francis.

CANCEL CULTURE IS CORROSIVE.


FOR SAKE OF COUNTRY.


MAGA LIVES ON: NO RETREAT, NO SURRENDER!

TWITTER IS BORING WITHOUT HIS TWEETS. #RestorePresidentTrump'sTwitterHandle.


WORD.

"If you cannot speak the truth when it matters, then nothing else you says matters.” - Tucker Carlson.

#MeToo MOVEMENT: A BAD NEWS GONE CRAZY.

"To all the women who testified, we may have different truth, but I have a great remorse for all of you. I have great remorse for all of the men and women going through this crisis right now in our country. You know, the movement started basically with me, and I think what happened, you know, I was the first example, and now there are thousands of men who are being accused and a regeneration of things that I think none of us understood. I’m not going to say these aren’t great people. I had wonderful times with these people. I’m just genuinely confused. Men are confused about this issue. We are going through this #MeToo movement crisis right now in this country." - Harvey Weinstein.


RON DELLUMS: UNAPOLOGETICALLY RADICAL.

"If it’s radical to oppose the insanity and cruelty of the Vietnam War, if it’s radical to oppose racism and sexism and all other forms of oppression, if it’s radical to want to alleviate poverty, hunger, disease, homelessness, and other forms of human misery, then I’m proud to be called a radical.” - Ron Vernie Dellums.


WHAT REALLY MATTERS IN LIFE - STEVE JOBS

“I reached the pinnacle of success in the business world. In others’ eyes, my life is an epitome of success. However, aside from work, I have little joy. Non-stop pursuing of wealth will only turn a person into a twisted being, just like me. God gave us the senses to let us feel the love in everyone’s heart, not the illusions brought about by wealth. Memories precipitated by love is the only true riches which will follow you, accompany you, giving you strength and light to go on. The most expensive bed in the world is the sick bed. You can employ someone to drive the car for you, make money for you but you cannot have someone to bear sickness for you. Material things lost can be found. But there is one thing that can never be found when it is lost – Life. Treasure Love for your family, love for your spouse, love for your friends. Treat yourself well. Cherish others.” - SJ

EVIL CANNOT BE TRULY DESTROYED.

"The threat of evil is ever present. We can contain it as long as we stay vigilant, but it can never truly be destroyed. - Lorraine Warren (Annabelle, the movie)


ONLY THE POOR WISH THEY HAD STUFF?

“I’m not that interested in material things. As long as I find a good bed that I can sleep in, that’s enough.” - Nicolas Berggruem, the homeless billionaire.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

ACID BATH FOR A LAWYER, AN UPDATE!


Courtesy of our friends at Klinreports, Icheoku brings you an update on the lawyer acid-attack victim's path to recovery including his most recent photos as well as his photo before the attack . Please as you read this interview, let your conscience speak to you; see the need of this "unfortunate" lawyer and do something to help him. Look beyond yourself to fill the need of the victim herein. The "me" attitude of this world should be put aside for a moment and think deeply what the family of this man is going through at the present time. It could be anybody, you, myself, a relative, a friend or an acquaintance. Do something today for mankind as personified in these photographs. Go to sleep tonight knowing that you have made a difference in a life. God blesses a cheerful giver!

"Help! I need N6 million for re-constructive surgery" cries out Barrister Francis Okafor - lawyer acid-attack victim.

Now the interview conducted by our friend, Ahams of Klinreports:

Q. What has your life been like since the acid attack on you September last year?
A.
Since I was discharged from the National Orthopedic Hospital, Enugu on January 1 this year, I have been frequenting the hospital for follow up action even though the on-going treatment has nothing to do with my eye. I made a first attempt at the British Embassy to obtain visa in April this year, but that visa was rejected. The embassy officials sympathized with my plight but said I did not have credible sponsor. As a result of this, they could not give me visa. Later, we made efforts with Morphid Hospital, London to get an appointment letter and eventually in June this year, the hospital management graciously granted us appointment which is scheduled to be on August 7 this year-just a couple of days from now for me to see my doctors. I went back to the British Embassy and I am happy to announce that they granted entry visa for me to travel around August 4th so that I would meet up with my August 7th appointment.

Q. What was the extent of your treatment at the Orthopedic Hospital?
A.
You know, I had multiple injuries all over my body including my head, my two eyes, my left hand and my legs. It was the burns that the Orthopedic Hospital surgeons have been treating. They brought in two doctors- Professors Nwasigwe and Onwuagwuluike, the first ophthalmologists in eastern region. The medical experts confirmed, in the course of my treatment, that my left eye is completely dead, but that the right one could be salvaged if I am urgently sent abroad for medical treatment. They said the equipment required for that treatment is not in Nigeria, that it could only be found overseas. They, therefore, advised me to make arrangements to travel overseas for that treatment. So, all this while I have been going to Orthopedic Hospital, it has just been for follow up check-ups on the injuries I sustained all over my body during the acid attack.

Q. Is it possible to quantify your expenses so far?
A.
Initially, we spent N360, 000.00 (Three Hundred and Sixty Thousand Naira) at the Orthopedic Hospital. And we have been paying little amount of money for routine check-ups. However, the overseas treatment is the one that is trying to consume a lot of money because my treatment has been estimated to cause N5 million, except other travel expenses such as incidentals, feeding and accommodation.

Q. Only your treatment will cost a whopping N5 million?
A. Only treatment, but if you add these other expenses, it can go up to N7 million (about $68,000dollars USD). You see, we are talking about only my eye, not my other parts of body that are burnt. This left eye is totally burnt, and it requires plastic surgery to really reconstruct it. So, that one is not part of the estimation.

Q. So, how do you raise the money for the medical trip?
A. I have been having problems trying to raise the fund. What I have on hand now is not enough to undertake the trip. People really responded but it is not enough. The response is nothing to write home about. I cannot boast of up to N1.2 million yet the treatment requires above N5 million.

Q.What of your colleagues in the Nigeria Bar Association (NBA)?
A.
In fact, the NBA has given me N1 million so far, and they said there is another small amount of money for me to collect before the trip.

Q. How do you intend to raise the remaining amount for the medical trip?
A.
That is the problem. I intend to meet some international organizations while in London to see if they can give me some assistance.

Q. Apart from lawyers and concerned members of the public, has your plight been brought to the attention of government, especially, governments of the southeast geo-political zone?
A.
Yes, the leadership of the bar had written to the governors of Enugu and Anambra, my home state, for financial assistance for my oversea medical treatment. But the association will still brief us on the outcome of the letters.

Q. Will the plastic surgery be carried out after this initial London treatment?
A.
Yes, what they will do first of all is to treat my right eye that is, at the moment, receiving light so that thereafter, they would refer me to the plastic surgeon to now reconstruct my left eye before they can know whether it is still alive or not.

Q. What is the level of treatment of the burns?
A.
I think on the face of it, the burns are gone, but I am still having some sensations. I have been receiving treatment in respect of that. You can see my head. There is plaster all over it. We thought the wound had healed, but it came back all over.

Q. There were suspects in this attack on you. What has become of the matter?
A
. There is one person I did suspect and police arrested him, but eventually, while I was in the hospital he went to an Enugu High Court and, under fundamental human rights, he was granted bail. Meanwhile, I have not gathered strength enough to prosecute that matter because I have to be in court to prosecute the suspect. So, we have not done anything in respect of prosecution of that matter. It is just pending while the suspect is on bail. For now, the matter is adjourned sine die until I recover. Then if I want to prosecute him, I would reactivate the matter.

Q. Once more, could you recapture the deadly attack on you?
A.
On September 26, 2007 (last year), I finished my chambers work by 8 pm and came out of my office to enter my car. As I was about to board my car, I had a call on my mobile telephone handset. So, I stood by the car door to answer the call. While I was still standing, saying ‘Hello, Hello’ on the phone, I heard a bang on my head, ‘Gboooh!’ I thought it was a bottle that was broken on my head, but substance was pouring all over my body. I subsequently received very serious burning sensation, and I started shouting. At this juncture, people rushed to my rescue and I was taken to the National Orthopedic Hospital.

Q. When will you return back to Nigeria?
A.
I was granted six months visa. So, I will be back to Nigeria by January 17, 2009
Recovering Barrister Francis Okafor with his ever loving wife.

PLEASE DONATE TODAY TO HIS APPEAL FUND:


ACCOUNT NUMBER 0191201008081, OCEANIC BANK PLC


& ACCOUNT NUMBER 9562000013956, UNION BANK PLC,

ENUGU-NIGERIA

Also, you can send your donation/gift vide Western Union or Money Gram and alert him on his telephone numbers 0112348038726495 & 011248037741703

(please be mindful of his trip to London for treatment at Morphid Hospital beginning from August 4th, 2008)

No comments:

Post a Comment